"Chandelier" was written by Sia and Jesse Shatkin and was produced by Greg Kurstin and Shatkin. It was described as an electropop ballad, featuring "soaring" synthesisers, "militant" drums, and hip hop beats with electronica, R&B, and reggae influences. The song features Sia's "jaw-dropping" vocal performance. The song is written in the key of B♭ minor and it follows the chord progression of Bbm–Gb7–Ab–Fm.
Lyrically, "Chandelier" has a sad theme talking about "the glitter and fatigue of a party girl's life". John Walker from MTV Buzzworthy opined that the song has a dark theme, "toeing the line between celebration and self-destruction as it becomes increasingly more blurred". At the song's opening, Sia sings "Party girls don't get hurt, can't feel anything... I push it down" over a reggae-influenced background. During the chorus, she chants, "I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, from the chandelier/I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist, like it doesn't exist". A few critics compared the song's musical style to works done by Rihanna, including Jeremy Gordon from Pitchfork Media, and Melinda Newman of HitFix.
Commercial Perfomance Edit
In the United States, "Chandelier" debuted at number 75 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart dated 31 May 2014. It peaked at number eight on the chart, becoming the first top ten single by Sia to appear on the chart as a lead artist. The song reached one million units sold in the US in August 2014, and surpassed the 2 million mark in sales in January 2015. The song also reached number six on the Canadian Hot 100. In June 2014, the single was certified platinum by Music Canada.
"Chandelier" was successful in Oceania and Europe, peaking in the top five on 20 national record charts including: France, and Poland (number one); Australia, Italy and Norway (number two); New Zealand and Slovakia (number three); and Norway and Scotland (number five). The single was certified quadruple platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), and platinum by the Recorded Music NZ (RMNZ). In the United Kingdom, "Chandelier" charted at number six on the UK Singles Chart. In France, the single was the third best-selling single of 2014, according to Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
Live Perfomances Edit
Sia performed "Chandelier" on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on 19 May 2014, with Ziegler recreating the choreography in the music video.Sia also performed the song on Late Night with Seth Meyers on 9 June 2014, with Girls star Lena Dunham performing new choreography. In July 2014, Sia performed the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and Ziegler taught host Jimmy Kimmel and his sidekick Guillermo some of the dance moves from the music video. In July 2014, Sia performed the song on the VH1's show "SoundClash", along with her songs "Elastic Heart" and "Big Girls Cry" from the album. Sia sang the song on Dancing with the Stars, with Ziegler dancing a duet with Allison Holker, and at the 2014 We Can Survive Concert at the Hollywood Bowl. In February 2015, Sia sang the song in a cluttered apartment set for the 2015 Grammy Awards telecast. Ziegler danced in a cluttered apartment with actress Kristen Wiig. For all of these performances, Sia sang the track with her back to the camera. She performed the song on Saturday Night Livein January 2015, veiled, with a sad-looking mime who performed the lyrics in American sign language.
Usages in Media Edit
The song is also featured in the television shows Hit the Floor, Wonderland, Selfie, Unreal, Please Like Me, Transparent, Shades of Blue, American Dad!, and Dance Moms.
A karaoke version was briefly played in the 2016 movie Sing.
The 2017 film Happy End written and directed by Michael Haneke includes a karaoke cover of the song that has been described as "the movie's most indelible scene".
|[hide]Digital download – Remixes EP|
|1.||"Chandelier" (Four Tet Remix)||4:31|
|2.||"Chandelier" (Plastic Plates Remix)||4:27|
|3.||"Chandelier" (Cutmore Club Remix)||5:08|
|4.||"Chandelier" (Hector Fonseca Remix)||6:27|
|5.||"Chandelier" (Liam Keegan Remix)||5:16|
|6.||"Chandelier" (Dev Hynes Remix)||3:44|
Credits for "Chandelier" are adapted from CD single liner notes
- Recording locations
- Vocals recorded at Hot Closet Studios, Echo Park, California
- Engineered at Echo Studios, Los Angeles, California
- Mixed at Larrabee Sound Studios, North Hollywood, California
- Songwriter, Lead vocals – Sia Furler
- Songwriter – Jesse Shatkin
- Producers – Greg Kurstin, Jesse Shatkin
- Drums, guitar, mellotron, piano – Greg Kurstin
- Drums, keyboards – Jesse Shatkin
- Programming – Jesse Shatkin
- Engineering – Greg Kurstin, Jesse Shatkin
- Additional engineering – Alex Pasco, Delbert Bowers
- Mixing – Manny Marroquin
- Assistant mixing – Chris Galland, Delbert Bowers
Critical reception Edit
"Chandelier" garnered mostly positive reviews from music critics. Andrew Trendall from Gigwise wrote that the song "springboards Sia from a behind-the-scenes genius into a superstar in her own right". Gordon from Pitchfork Media praised Sia's vocal performance on the track and commented that the track "is enough to make you want to swing from a chandelier". Bradley Stern from the website MuuMuse labelled "Chandelier" the best pop single of 2014, complimenting Sia's songwriting credits and her voice on the song. In a VH1 article, Emily Exton shared that thought, deeming it the best song Sia had ever written. Writing for Time magazine, Jamieson Cox deemed "Chandelier" a "disarming, unforgettable listen that'll make you glad Sia kept this one for herself." In a less enthusiastic review, Melinda Newman from HitFix thought that Sia "can do a lot better than this".
|Consequence of Sound||Top 50 Songs of 2014||5|
|Rolling Stone||50 Best Songs of 2014||15|
|PopMatters||The 75 Best Songs of 2014||11|
|Complex||The 50 Best Songs of 2014||31|
|Spin||The 101 Best Songs of 2014||8|
|Wondering Sound||75 Best Songs of 2014||74|
|Time Out||The 50 Best Songs of 2014||19|
|Slant Magazine||The 25 Best Singles of 2014||14|
|Pazz & Jop||Single of the Year 2014||7|
Billboard listed "Chandelier" as the best song of 2014. The song received nominations at the 57th Grammy Awards for Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance, with its video receiving a nomination for Best Music Video.
Music Video Edit
|Release date:||May 6, 2014|
|Director(s):||Sia, Daniel Askill|
|Producer(s):||Greg Kurstin, Jesse Shatkin|
The music video for "Chandelier" was released on 6 May 2014. It features Maddie Ziegler, a then-11-year-old dancer. In the video, Ziegler wears a medium-length blonde wig matching the one that Sia used to promote the album. Throughout the video, Ziegler dances in a deserted, dirty apartment "while spinning, kicking, leaping, crawling, falling, twirling and hiding herself behind window drapes". An alternative one-take version of the clip was released in June 2014. Ziegler was personally asked by Sia to appear in the video via Twitter. The video was directed by Sia and Daniel Askill, and was choreographed by Ryan Heffington.
Weekly Charts Edit
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||2|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||8|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||2|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||6|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||25|
|Czech Republic (Singles Digitál Top 100)||2|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||5|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||10|
|Greece Digital Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||2|
|Israel (Media Forest TV Airplay)||2|
|Israel (Media Forest)||1|
|Japan (Japan Hot 100)||39|
|Lebanon (Lebanese Top 20)||3|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||27|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||3|
|Poland (Polish Airplay Top 100)||1|
|Portugal (Top 20 chart)||2|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||4|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||17|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||3|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||17|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||10|
|US Billboard Hot 100||8|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||37|
Year-End Charts Edit
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||27|
|Belgium (Ultratop Flanders)||43|
|Belgium (Ultratop Wallonia)||5|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||26|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||43|
|Israel (Media Forest)||3|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||56|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||11|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||9|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||32|
|US Billboard Hot 100||25|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||49|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||9|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||43|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||62|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||42|
|US Billboard Hot 100||90|
|Australia (ARIA||5x Platinum||350,000|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||15,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||240,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Gold||30,000^|
|Italy (FIMI)||4× Platinum||200,000|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||2× Platinum||30,000
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||5× Platinum||50,000
|Sweden (GLF)||4× Platinum||160,000x|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||30,000x|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||600,000|
|United States (RIAA)||3x Platinum||3,000,000|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||2× Platinum||2,600,000^|
xunspecified figures based on certification alone sales/streaming figures based on certification alone
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Gordon, Jeremy (8 May 2014). "Sia: "Chandelier" | Tracks". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ "Sia "Chandelier" Sheet Music in Bb Minor (transposable) - Download & Print". musicnotes.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Ehrlich, Brenna (17 March 2014). "Sia's New YOLO Song 'Chandelier' Could Have Been Rihanna's Next Hit". MTV. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Walker, John (17 March 2014). "Sia's New Song, 'Chandelier,' May Be The Saddest DGAF Anthem Ever". MTV. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Newman, Melinda (17 March 2014). "Sia channels Rihanna in the New Single, 'Chandelier'".
- ↑ Trendall, Andrew (14 March 2014). "Sia unveils teaser of brand new single, 'Chandelier'". Gigwise. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Stern, Bradley (17 March 2014). ""Chandelier": Sia Swings In With The Best Pop Single of 2014 So Far". MuuMuse. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Cox, Jamieson (17 March 2014). "Sia's "Chandelier" Is the Year's Most Sobering Party Anthem: Listen". TIME. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Cos Staff (5 December 2014). "Top 50 Songs of 2014". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Rolling Stone (3 December 2015). "Sia, "Chandelier" - 50 Best Songs of 2014". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ PopMatters Staff (22 December 2014). "The 75 Best Songs of 2014". PopMatters. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Ahmed, Insanul; Scott, Damien; Werthman, Christine; Scarno, Ross; Ortiz, Edwin; Nostro, Lauren; Charity, Justin; Diaz, Angel; Khal; Russell, Alex; Servantes, Ian; Davis, Justin; Tharpe, Frazier; Starling, Lakin; Jenkins, Brandon; Slavich, Ben (9 December 2014). "Sia "Chandelier" - The 50 Top Songs of 2014". Complex. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Spin Staff (8 December 2014). "The 101 Best Songs of 2014". SPIN. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Wondering Sound Staff Contributor (16 December 2014). "Best Songs of 2014: #75-61 | 75 Best Songs of 2014". Wondering Sound. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Time Out editors (20 January 2015). "The 50 best songs of 2014 – This year’s best new music". Time Out London. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Staff (10 December 2014). "The 25 Best Singles of 2014 | Feature". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Billboard Staff (11 December 2014). "Billboard.com's 10 Best Songs of 2014: Critics' Picks". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- ↑ Grebey, James (5 December 2014). "Grammys 2015 Nominees: Sam Smith, Beyonce, Iggy Azalea, and More". SPIN. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- ↑ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/10/sia-chandelier-music-video_n_5298152.html
- ↑ http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/maddie-ziegler-sia-chandelier-video-chat.html
- ↑ https://www.yahoo.com/music/nick-jonass-jealous-hits-a-new-peak-108110758051.html
Hear: Chandelier Edit
See also: 1000 Forms of Fear Edit
|1000 Forms of Fear|